Okazi soup is similar to the popular Afang soup, the only major difference is the thickener that is added to the Okazi soup to give it more viscosity and most people prefer to make Okazi leaves the only vegetable in the soup(without adding any other leaves). This is the Igbo version of the Efik’s Afang soup. This delicious African soup is made up of a mixture of vegetables(Afang /Okazi leaves and water leaves or spinach or lamb lettuce), assorted fish, meat, spices and a soup thickener, which can be either achi, ofor, ukpo or Egusi soup
The vegetables used for the Okazi/Ukazi soup includes Okazi leaves(called Afang leaves by the Efiks and Ibibio) and water leaves(spinach and lamb lettuce can be used as alternatives for this vegetable).
Here’s an easy recipe to try out…Enjoy!
Okazi Soup (Ukazi Soup) Recipe
* 1 handful Egusi /melon seeds or 2 handful ground Egusi /melon seeds (achi OR ofor OR ukpo can be used as a substitute)
* 500 gr beef or assorted meat
* 100 gr Smoked fish
* Stock fish (optional)
* Shelled Periwinkle(optional)
* 2 tablespoonful ground crayfish
* Fresh pepper or ground dried pepper (to taste)
* Water leaves(or lamb lettuce as an alternative if you live outside Africa)
* Afang Leaves(okazi/ukazi leaves)
* 500 ml Palm oil
* 1 Stock/seasoning cube
* salt to taste
Cooking directions for Okazi soup
1. First cook the assorted meat and stock fish, Clean the dried fish and set aside.
– Grind the achi or egusi seeds(melon seeds), add some warm water in it, mix well, and set aside
– Slice the water leaves and Okazi leaves and set aside.If you are making use of dried Okazi leaves, you can blend it .
2. Heat up the palm oil, add some chopped onion , fry a bit and then add the mixed egusi. Stir the mixture continuously until the egusi begins to bubble a bit.
3. Now add some meat stock, mix thoroughly, cover and leave to boil for 5 minutes.
(if using achi, this is the time to add it)
After 5 minutes, add the stock cube, pepper and ground crayfish. Mix well and then add the cooked meat, stock fish and dry fish.You can add periwinkles at the stage , if you have some. Cover and leave to cook for 2 minutes.
4. Next , add the Okazi leaves, leave to simmer for 5 minutes and then add the water leaves.Add salt to taste , simmer for 2 minutes and your Okazi Soup is ready..Enjoy.